Tuesday, May 24, 2011


Searching
Song: (searching for one)
            A young man sits on the floor, disconnected.  He tries to reach out, but seems to miss.  He tries again, but is pushed away chaotically.  He does not know what is wrong.  Why can’t he fit in?  Is there something is missing?  And if so what is it?  He gets onto his knees and begins to stand up only to get his head pushed down.  He draws his arms forward trying to reach hold yet his head is brought down lower.  THEN STICOTOLY His head jerks up and freezes cocked back.  His is pushed over and falls on to his back.   Stillness.  Stillness.  Flowingly, the arms rise.  They from the shape of wings and lyrically flap majestically.   They flow in unison lyrical and flowingly, creating intricate designs and patterns.  They are brought in together to form a ball.  It rises up and hovers down.  And it calmly descends onto the man’s chest.  HE JOLTS AND JUMPS TO his knees.  He raises his arms to the sky praising. 
            I want to paint a story with my dance while incorporating all we learned from the beginning of the semester till now.  Yet, I do not want to emphasize on acting.    I am trying to find myself with this improvisational routine.  The Dance Showcase inspired me.  I am focusing on floor work during this routine to utilize the roll that I love to do.  Utilizing the floor as an environmental adds an interesting level of struggle and frustration to the storytelling aspect I am framing.

No comments: